The Kinzua Bridge of the Erie Railroad in the north of the state of Pennsylvania in the United States in the Allegheny National Forest was 92 meters high and 625 meters long and was considered the second highest bridge in the United States. Built in 1882 and reconstructed in 1900 because of its susceptibility to wind, it was used primarily to transport coal from Elk County. In 1959, the last scheduled train drove over the track. 1963, the bridge was declared by the state of Pennsylvania Kinzua Bridge State Park. 1970 saw the opening of the park. With the inclusion in the list of the National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark 1975 the importance of the bridge was further appreciated.
On June 27, 2002, due to the poor condition of the bridge, it will be prohibited to cross trains and it will be added to the list of Pennsylvania's most vulnerable properties. On August 23, 2002, the bridge will also be closed to pedestrians, as there is a risk of the bridge becoming unstable in adverse winds. In the spring of 2003, repairs and refurbishment work on the bridge will begin. On July 21, 2003, eleven of the 20 pillars collapsed due to a tornado of strength F-1 on the Fujita scale. The cause was the corroded and damaged connection of the bridge elements with the foundations, which was unchanged since 1882. With no public funding available for reconstruction, private initiatives are trying to raise money. A date of a possible re-establishment is currently not foreseeable.