Moffett Federal Airfield (Mountain View, CA) hosts historic warbirds every year in May. The Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress "Nine-0-Nine" (1943), North American B-25J Mitchell "Tondelayo" (1944), Consolidated B-24J Liberator "Witchcraft" (1944, the only airworthy authentic B-24J worldwide) and North American P-5D Mustang "Toulouse Nuts" (1944) belong to the Collings Foundation. The planes can be visited inside ($ 15) a 30 minute flight costs from $ 400 per person.
Throughout the year, the Warbirds can still be admired at other airfields. The timetable "Wings of Freedom Tour" 2018 can be foundhere.
The "Madras Maiden," a restored World War II Bomber, visited Burke lakefront Airport (Cleveland).
The B-17G (44-8543 / N3701G) was built by Lockheed-Vega in 1944 and assigned to the aerospace industry at Wright Field, modified as a 'Pathfinder' aircraft and equipped with the H2X 'Mickey' radar system instead of the bullet tower. The aircraft spent its entire military career until 1959 as a research and development aircraft. Of the B-17s rebuilt into 'Pathfinder' aircraft, it is the only one left. She began her civilian life (bought for $ 5000) as a cargo plane between South Florida and the Caribbean. Converted into a Fire Ant Sprayer in 1963 on behalf of the US Department of Agriculture. From 1979 she had different owners, but was kept in an airworthy condition. In 2013, N3701G was sold to the Erickson Collection, an aviation museum in Madras Oregon. The N3701G was restored in its combat configuration and painted in the colors of the 381st Bomb Group.
In February 1942, the Boeing B-17E (41-2446) had to make an emergency landing in a swamp in Papua New Guinea. The entire crew survived the crash landing and survived the arduous journey back. The wreck was visible for a long time and got the name "Swamp Ghost". In 2006, "Swamp Ghost" was salvaged, but could only be returned to the US in 2010. Here she can be seen before her restoration in Google Maps at the Pacific Aviation Museum in Pearl Harbor.